RSS

Wednesday 111130

Ricky Frausto Filed Under:
WOD
Skill/Strength

Bulgarian Split Squats (front squat position)

After warm-up sets of x3 each leg (unweighted), x5 each leg (empty barbell), and 2x5 each leg, perform 4 sets of 6 each leg, using the same weight for all sets.

If you increase weight during any of the work sets, that new weight becomes your first set and you must complete 3 additional sets at that weight. Same rules apply, hip crease must pass below the top of the knee for the rep to count. (Four minute clock)

Conditioning

Three rounds for quality and development:
Pull ups (strict, kipping, chest 2 bar), 90 seconds
Rest 15 seconds
Pistols (weighted, unweighted, negatives), 90 seconds
Rest 15 seconds
Ring Push ups (feet elev., on knees, rings elev.), 90 seconds
Rest 15 seconds
Row (diff. damper settings, diff. tech.), 90 seconds
Rest 15 seconds

Shooter's choice with version you choose of the above movements (during any round). Keep quality high and range of motion complete. Learn something today.

Post split squat weight and what you learned today to comments/Logwod.


Bulgarian Split Squats (front squat position is the second lift shown)

edit post

12 Responses to "Wednesday 111130"

  1. paul Says:
  2. Man, these were brutal! I used 88, but didn't quite complete the last set.

    Nice work, 6am!
  3. Ricky Frausto Says:
  4. We did these back on June 22nd. They were bar behind the neck last time but I don't see much difference at this point with it being such a new movement to everyone. In fact, the front bar position should allow for a more upright torso which may prove more effective for everyone doing these for the first time.

    http://crossfitomaha.blogspot.com/2011/06/wednesday-110622.html

    Paste in browser.
  5. Jen Says:
  6. 77 for the split squat. A bit tough! First time doing ring push ups and they felt good. Nice way to practice keeping my elbows in.
  7. Steve Says:
  8. Went in planning on 110# (which I think I used when we did behind the neck), but ended up going with 88#.

    Nice work on skills. And after Amanda made a special note, I tried to keep elbows in on ring push ups. I'm going to have to work harder on keeping them close during regular push-ups, as I tend to go wider when I get tired to transfer more load to my chest.
  9. Kristina Nash Says:
  10. 64# split squat. This was my first split squat experience. I think my adductors will be screaming at me tomorrow. Right along with my glutes and hamstrings. Good stuff.

    I am in love with the fish game on the rower. So fun! Worked push-ups from my knees today, ring push-ups and my shoulder just don't get along just yet. Hopefully they will make up in the next month to six weeks. Pull-ups with the green band (again the shoulder is just not ready for whole body hanging exercises), and pistol squats weighted and rolling down and up on to one leg. I do love the pistol!

    Fun 9 am class once again! JenS you rocked those split squats at 77#, wowza!
  11. CrossFit Hydro Says:
  12. Think my hamstrings might snap from the 41 deads at 315...

    Tall clean... Speed & light weight only...
    Power clean... 3x1 @ 90% of 255#
    224, 224 and 229
    Clean pulls 3x3... 269#
    Front squat 5/3/1 - 190, 216, 246x5
    Messed with some alternative or things I haven't done in a while in a short metcon..
    Bike calories
    T2B
    Strict Press (60% 1RM)
    21-15-9
    10:45ish
  13. Crystal Says:
  14. 59# for split squat. tougher than i thought they would be.

    worked on strict pullups. did ring pushups and on last round did them with feet elevated on 2 red plates. rowing messed around with damper settings of 8, 10 & 7.
  15. BC Says:
  16. 88# for the split squats, I think I prefer the back bar position.

    Got some good work done during the skill/conditioning portion of today, including PISTOL SQUATS ON A KETTLEBELL! Boom! That's some next level ninja sh!t there! (sorry, that was a bit over the top but I was pretty stoked, sue me).

    Nice work 5:30 crew.
  17. Shelley Says:
  18. 98# on split squat. Did sets as follows: 88,93,93,98

    Right leg is stronger than left leg.

    Ring pushups were tough; got one set of 8 in first round and after that, I never got more than 4 in a row; definitely hard by round 3. Rowing technique still needs work, pullups were tough, and pistols showed again that my right leg is stronger than left. I can do them with both legs, but they're so much easier with my right leg.

    Good work 5:30!
  19. Hilg Says:
  20. 88# on the split squat and felt pretty good. Did that weight straight across. Got some nice work done and even pulled strict pistols on both legs. Thanks for the hand, Frank.

    Great work 6am!
  21. hannah eileen Says:
  22. got 60# on the squat. I decided I am not a fan of that lift; however, I really enjoy doing obscure strengths, such as Bulgarian Split Squats or rope climbs. The "unknown and unknowable" does not allow simply getting stronger with a low bar back squat and press.

    I really liked today's skill work. I enjoyed it much more than the last skill work day, but that may be because I could actually do the movements. Ring push ups were fun and I want to work on them more. After 3ish years of fittin, I learned how to row - and that I need the damper at 9. Pistols are always fun...especially because it's the ONLY thing in CF that I can do and my lame-o husband can't. :)
  23. Stacie Says:
  24. Front rack position: 88,93,93,98

Thanks For Visiting!