RSS

Competing this Weekend?

Ricky Frausto Filed Under:
I hope all of you are competing this weekend in the Midwest Challenge. Just ask anybody that participated last time how much fun it was. Don't miss out just because you don't think you are going to do well or because you feel intimidated. You CrossFit for crying out loud. Yeah I want everyone who signs up to come with their A game and to have the desire to win but it's not all about that. It's to compete against yourself as well. Plus, if you don't do it, you'll see how much fun everyone is having and regret not doing it. If there is anyone who loves to compete and loves to workout, you have to come and sign up for this weekend's challenge. For more information, please visit our event webpage at www.midwestcrossfitchallenge.blogspot.com or call/email Joe or I with any other questions you may have.

Here is a perfect article on why you should compete. It was written by Lis Darsh of CrossFit Watertown.

Are You the Man (or Woman) in the Arena?

I may be foolish but I’m not timid.

The odds of me winning the CrossFit Albany East Coast Challenge are really, really small . . . but I’m going. I’m realistic about my chances as a fortyish female in very good (but not killer Kelly Moore-ish) shape. I’ll probably finish far away from the winners, just like I do in most triathlons and a good portion of the running and mountain bike races I enter. Where I finish never has anything to do with why I signed up in the first place. I am only peripherally competing against other people: mostly, I am competing against myself. It’s no different than having at the WOD: the others make me go faster just by the fact of them being there, and it’s nice to beat them, but the goal is to beat myself. Matt Williams, the baseball player, put it this way: “It’s not between me and the pitcher. It’s between me and the ball.”

I enter competitions to test myself and, also, for how it makes me feel. Quite simply, slap a number on my back or write it in Sharpie on my calf or my tricep and I am the Queen of All I Survey. I become, if only for a brief hour or two, like Teddy Roosevelt’s famous Man in the Arena:

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

So I’m signed up for a CrossFit competition. Foolish? Maybe. But Albany is only a few hours’ drive away. I could make time for it or I could make excuses. "I’m not ready." "Maybe next year."" I’m saving myself for the CrossFit Games in Aromas." "It’s too far." "I don’t have the entry fee." "My cat needs a sponge bath." You get my point.

In triathlons, we have a saying: DFL beats DNF beats DNS. Translation: Dead F***ing Last beats Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start.

So get off your a** and sign up for your local CrossFit Challenge or the national CrossFit Games. Decide if you’re the Man in the Arena, or if you’re something less . . .

(Text by Lisbeth Darsh/CrossFit Watertown in Connecticut.)


WOD
"Grindy" (courtesy of Adrian Bozman)
For time
10 Clean & Jerks (135lbs/83lbs.)
5 rounds of Cindy (5 pullups/10 Pushups/15 Air Squats)
10 Clean & Jerks
5 rounds of Cindy
10 Clean & Jerks

Scale where necessary. For the clean & jerks the guys use 115, 95, 65, 45, or pvc. The girls scale by using 75, 65, 55, 45, 33, or pvc.

edit post

19 Responses to "Competing this Weekend?"

  1. Steve Says:
  2. Y.G.B.F.K.M.
  3. paul Says:
  4. NASTY! this is going to be AWESOME!!

    I don't know if i'm going to be able to sleep thinking about this.
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. Oh. My. God.
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. i really want to do this one! i'll try and make it to the late one, i have something for school at 6. otherwise, i'll have to do this for the next rest day.
  9. A Says:
  10. Yikes. This might do me in. I might be there, just to tempt fate... :-)
  11. Anonymous Says:
  12. I am with ya Kylie - I have a late appt for work at 5:30 tonight - but then I might be able to make the 6:30 class - otherwise I will be trying this one at home tonight - I might sub the clean and jerk for thrusters since I am not familiar with the clean and jerk as much!! Reba
  13. Nick Says:
  14. I'm on call tonight so I woke up early and did this one at the gym at school. needless to say, I got a lot of stares and people thinking I was crazy while trying not to vomit. morning workouts are not for me!

    Grindy
    used 135 for clean and jerks. took it from the floor and did full catches
    time: about 25 minutes

    This was really hard but a lot of fun. I think I was sweating for about an hour afterwards even after a shower. all right, have fun with this one!
  15. Anonymous Says:
  16. Oh, I wont be able to make it tonight :( I really thought since the weather is so nice we would be playing games on the football field the rest of the summer....darn it!!
    Good luck tonight everyone!
  17. paul Says:
  18. That was brutal! 17:56 as Rx'ed.
  19. Anonymous Says:
  20. W..O..W! That was an awesome workout. Great job to Mikayla.
    19:25 @98#'s
    Will move up to yellows next time.
  21. Anonymous Says:
  22. 19:45 with 132#
    I agree with Paul, BRUTAL! Yet fun as hell.
  23. Steve Says:
  24. that was more fun than i expected. made it thru all except the last 10 clean and jerks, ran out of time. was happy with my pullups though.
  25. Anonymous Says:
  26. 18:54 with 63lbs.
  27. Anonymous Says:
  28. Didn't make it to the last 15 squats and 10 Clean and Jerks - but I knocked out all the pushups without hitting my knees which made me pretty happy. . .awesome workout - reba
  29. kahrs Says:
  30. As Paul said Brutal. The push ups killed me, had to break them up a lot. Everything else was tolerable. Made it to last round of Cindy with 2 push ups left. Used 132. I need to start doing more push ups.
  31. A Says:
  32. Pushups were dreadful. Thought I was going to die...Loved it, can't wait to be there again! Great job everyone!!!
  33. Anonymous Says:
  34. 2 Rounds C&J's (63lbs) and 6 Rounds Cindy. Didn't make the 20 min time limits. Did alright. This one was fun. Push-ups held me back on Cindy, but i refuse to drop to my knees. It's the only way i will get better!

    Great job to everyone!
  35. zj Says:
  36. Didn't make it but only left the last set of C&Js on the table, which got easier as I got more tired? As Rx'd.
  37. A Says:
  38. Oops. Didn't leave time. 15:30 with 45lbs.

Thanks For Visiting!