RSS

PUSHUPS

Ricky Frausto Filed Under:
Pushups are foundational to upper body strength. When performing them it is of utmost importance to perform them correctly. This includes touching the chin and chest to the floor (the mid-section or belly may touch the floor but only if both it and the chest are touching the ground simultaneously). If the stomach touches first, you are most likely shorting the range of motion by not ever touching the chest to the floor as well as allowing the hips to anteriorly rotate (putting undue stress on the low back). When returning to the starting position the body must move in unison (no snaking) as if you were a section of two by four (wood). Locking out must always occur. This is done by externally rotating the arms at the top so that the elbows are now facing towards the rear of the body as opposed to facing out to the side. Finally and most importantly, your technique and/or strength should determine your speed of movement. If form is breaking down you either are moving too fast or need to stop altogether. Always remember to scale where necessary.

Push-up Standards...[wmv][mov]

WOD
As many rounds in 15 minutes
5 Deadlifts
10 Burpee Box Jumps (24")
15 Overhead Press (empty 45lb. bar)

Scale where necessary. Deadlift weight will be determined during class.

edit post

4 Responses to "PUSHUPS"

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Hello, I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years!! I am making my big come back debut today at crossfit, I may be about 10lbs heavier than the last time you saw me :) See ya later.
  3. paul Says:
  4. What's up, guys? Have been getting in just enough exercise to keep from falling apart. Went to a huge box gym yesterday and got in some snatches, OH squats, deadlifts, pullups...and some bench presses, just to fit in. See y'all soon, as they say here in kentucky.
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. Did this workout, but 20 minutes, actually 21:52, because i wanted to finish the 5th round. The burpee box jumps told me a long time, mainly because I couldn't quite coordinate the two moves together smoothly. The first two rounds, my press was with the 45, then had to brake down to 35. Deadlifted the blues.
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. Wow, I got my butt kicked today, but it's great to be back. I got through 3 2/3 rounds. I need a lot of work on all three exercises. I can't wait to get better. The 530 group was really rocking it today. Great Job guys!!

Thanks For Visiting!