RSS

Monday 100802

Ricky Frausto Filed Under:
WOD
"Isabel"
For time:
132/92 pound Snatch, 30 reps

The cut-off is 7 minutes

Lindsey Smith (world's 12th fittest woman) finished this workout in 16:22 with the men's weight.

followed by,

"CFO"
For time:
60 Burpees

Legit burpees are same as new standard push ups. At the bottom, the hands must be pulled from the ground. This is a new gym workout and will be added to the whiteboard. Who will finish it the fastest?

No cut-off.

Post time from both workouts to comments/LogWod.














Joe and I would like to thank everyone that showed up to the anniversary party yesterday. We had a blast golfing and the clubhouse party was nice.

A few stepped up and told their story of how they got started at CrossFit Omaha. What's your story? Post it to comments.

edit post

13 Responses to "Monday 100802"

  1. BC Says:
  2. Iasbel - 4:24 @88#
    CFO - 4:27 rx'd

    Hard to say how much of an impact my extracurriculars from yesterday/last night may have slowed me down, but I'm glad I forced myself out of bed and hit 6am, esp since I'm going out of town the rest of the week. Nice job 6am!

    As for my story - I started CFO almost 2 1/2 years ago, back in the UNO days. Basically I had read a couple of random articles about crossfit and thought it seemed like something worth checking out, so I Googled "crossfit omaha" and up came...CrossFit Omaha! I called them up, did my 1 on 1's and over the course of the next few months I slowly but surely got hooked. By the time we moved in to the new gym I was a full-blown CFO junkie. I love this place and am very, very passionate about it, and I'm very happy that it's come so far and I can't wait to see what the next 2 years and beyond bring.
  3. Kat Says:
  4. I started CFO a little over 3 years ago. I have always been athletic and I am very competitive...i lived with swimmers in college and one day i was watching friends and eating cheetos and my 3 roomies came home all wet and were bitching about how sore they were....i decided right then and there that i needed to do something with my life. After i finished my cheetos i asked them if i could come work out with them. Lisa said she would ask Ricky if i could come and work out with her. I fell in love right away!I started going to UNO during the summer just about every morning at 10am. Crossfit has changed my life! I honestly could never stop! When i moved to atlanta for my internship 2 years ago, me and megan started a fitness group with our kids and we would do crossfit workouts with them! They loved it! we would call ricky and ask him for guidance and suggestions about pretty much everything! Ricky and Joe have always pushed me to do better and they have given me a whole new perspective on fitness! I am a total advocate for crossfit and I wanna be 93 years old kicking ass at fran! Thanks Ricky and Joe for being such amazing coaches and starting up the BEST GYM IN OMAHA!
  5. Hilg Says:
  6. 3:05 Isabel (110#)
    4:00 CFO

    Isabel felt good from an intensity standpoint....just add 20# right! ;-) I feel like I've crossed a threashold and my intensitive level has popped up....can only attribute that to Paleo and getting to the gym more consistently.

    I've been at CFO just a little over a year ago. Last June, I had just finished another half-marathon (yeah, short stubby guy a distance runner!). I'd been running 3-4 times a week and spending $300/month on a personal trainer doing resistance weights. The trainer was great but I was spending too much on too little.

    I found out about the Gym from an article in the World Herold last June....had never heard about it at all before that article. I stopped in on Joe and he told me I would be winning half marathons in no time (kidding!). I'm a junkie for the pain and have always enjoyed pushing myself. Crossfit gives that to me in spades! I just hope I can become a better athlete and more importantly, a better member of this community!

    B
  7. paul Says:
  8. I hated to miss the 2-yr anniv. party, because I love CFO! I started about 3 yrs ago, back at UNO. Joe tells the story best, but I fell in love from the first moment of my first 1-on-1. I think it was 400s, push-ups, and maybe air squats. I was completely out of breath but I loved every second of it. I had never realized I had the potential to be fast or have good endurance. I never even thought of myself as particularly athletic. But the Joe and Ricky, especially in that first year, showed that I could break through all kinds of barriers. They were also incredibly patient with me when I screwed up my shoulder and had couldn't always do what everyone else was doing. It is still a struggle sometimes, but I'm sure I will continue to improve under the guidance of the CFO crew. Especially now that so many different things are being offered in the gym, like the strength class and work on Oly lifting!

    Yesterday I did 5 rds:
    15 pushups (the new way...tough!)
    10 back squats (195)
    5 CB pullups

    didn't time it, did it pretty slowly with a lot of rest b/t rounds. Pushups are a LOT harder the new way!

    Today I did the bear complex. Failed at 135. Have not been feeling it lately. Gotta bounce back!
  9. paul Says:
  10. also, i really did mean to call them 'the joe and ricky". that wasn't a typo or anything.
  11. Shelley Says:
  12. Did strength class:

    Press 3x5 at 70#; getting more confident with these as my technique gets better
    Did assistance work afterwards of:

    3 supersets of barbell bent over rows with 88# and weighted pushups w/ green bumper. I did 12 reps on rows each set and pushups were 6,3,4 before failure. I rested 40-45 seconds in between each superset.

    Burpees were a pleasant surprise...NOT!!
    4:15 Rx'd. Right leg is still wide right when fatigue sets in; I think I might have the ugliest burpees in crossfit.
  13. Paula Says:
  14. My story....I saw a demo WOD (I believe it was FGB) at the Fit Expo at the Holiday Inn on 72nd in April(?) 2008! I was thinking of how much fun it looked and VERY intimidating at the same time. I was so sick of the same boring routine for 3 years...cardio in the morning and lifting in evening...one body part a night. It was REALLY getting old, meanwhile crossfit was in the back of my mind. What was I waiting for. So, I bit the bullet and finally joined in Feb of 2009...10 month later! I never knew I could be pushed to the limits that crossfit has done. Never playing sports there was so many things that I have never done. I've never been an athlete. It's kinda cool to be considered one now at 41 years old. Ha!

    Only being at CFO for about 1 1/2 years I have seen it go through some changes....it has grown a lot and Ricky and Joe keep it fresh by adding the Paleo competitions, strength and olympic classes, throwdowns, etc.....No other gym has the community that CFO has....not even close. What other gyms have parties and golf outings???

    I just want to thank Ricky, Joe, Jon, and Amanda for all their patience!! I'm sure I have tested them quite frequently! I have a long way too go, but I have come a long way as well. Thanks again for everything! I LOVE CFO!!!!

    Did 3:30 strength class:
    3x5 @ 74#

    Assistance work:
    3 Supersets of Ring dips with blue band - 12 reps
    with band face pulls with tan band- 12 reps

    CFO - 4:50 rx'd
  15. Addi Says:
  16. 3x5 Press @ 74# (I can't make them as pretty as Paula's yet, but I'm working on it.)

    CFO - 3:52 - I bitched and moaned (Ricky, be honest, you would have been disappointed if I hadn't.), but it was not as bad as I thought it would be - the hand raise actually made it a little easier to keep a pace.. gave just a split-second rest at the bottom and kept my heart-rate manageable. (relatively speaking)

    Brian H. - isn't it funny how eating right and consistency just change the game entirely? In retrospect it seems like a no-brainer, but every once in a while I just stop and say "holy shit." Only took me 2 years to figure it out. :) As Ricky likes to say, "It's almost like this shit works."

    Shelley - could the lazy leg be a residual effect of the triple-dart dose you took in Castle Rock?? Drugs kill.

    As Ricky said last night, I started 3 years ago at UNO. Josh had been doing CF from the mainsite at the Y for a few months and stalking the affiliate list waiting for one in Omaha. When CFO popped up on the list, he started and kept telling me how much I would like it. I had tons of excuses (surprise surprise) but finally ran out in August. Did my one-on-ones 3 days in a row - I don't think I realized before then just how out of shape I had gotten since college - and I still didn't fully get it until my first "real" class. It was just Crystal, Josh, and me doing "Kelly" in the gym. It took me over 47 minutes and at least 2 panic/hyperventilation attacks. I walked at least half the runs (behind the dividers where Ricky couldn't see me) and cried like an idiot through the wall balls. It was a good thing I'd already paid, or I probably wouldn't have come back. Long story slightly shorter, I took a teaching job that year, which did NOT go well. It was stressful and depressing, and while I didn't make it in to CF at all regularly and when I did I probably didn't seem like I wanted to be there. But I really enjoyed the people and the camaraderie and even, occasionally, the workouts. The stress relief I got at CFO was a big part of why I was able to make it through that year. Having Reba, Crystal, Ang, Kat, and Alison to chase helped me push myself harder than I would have guessed I could. I still didn't really take it seriously, though, until the beginning of 2009 when people were signing up for Regionals. I figured I'd give it a shot, even though I knew I wouldn't finish well. As expected, I didn't come close to qualifying, but I did way better than I anticipated and just squeaked onto the affiliate team. Haven't looked back since. I love the feeling of accomplishing a goal and immediately looking for the next one. I love the community and the support everyone gives each other. I really really love watching new people do something they've never done before and realizing the strength they have. It's almost like this shit works.

    If you're still reading this, I apologize for my wordiness. :) Holy hell, this was long.
  17. Kelli Says:
  18. 3:02 53# Isabel
    7:27 CFO

    Maybe should have pushed the weight on Isabel a little more, but it is my 3rd week back!

    I began Crossfit about 3 weeks before they moved from UNO. I'd been looking at it online for about 3 months, trying to decide if it was going to make me stronger (HA!)-- as I was a competitive powerlifter. I continued my powerlifting and did crossfit 2x a week. I went full blown after about 6 months, after I had finished women's nationals at 2nd place (best ever!). So evidently crossfit DID make me stronger. :-) I continued on for another year. I did just come back from a break, and I have to say that I MISSED it so very much. CFO has a community that is outstanding and I am so proud to be a part of it.
  19. kahrs Says:
  20. So Addi pretty much told my story, the first part of 07 I was trying to do Crossfit at the Y and searching for CFO. I was about a week late of being the first client, that still makes me mad. Those first 6 months or so were great mainly because we had a lot of attention from Joe and Ricky, that happens when there are only 2-3 in a class everyday, but as more people came it got a lot more fun. It has been great to watch it grow to what it is today. It is amazing that I still learn something everyday. I only see it getting better from here.
  21. BigD Says:
  22. Did 7:30 strength class. Reps were 5, 5, at least 5 and keep frickin' going, using 65/75/ and 85% of training weight respectively. Forgot the last set was balls out until Ricky said "go 'till you can't go, but it better be AT LEAST 5!" This Wendler stuff is pretty cool. :) 7 reps for me on the last one. Amazing how moving my neck back more before the press takes stress off my poor low back. To echo Addi and Ricky above, it's almost like this shit works.
    3 supersets of 154 barbell row (10/9/9 on reps) and weighted dips (8/6/6) then CFO. 4:19.
    I think I've mentioned my CF story but if not, here goes...
    I got turned onto CrossFit my last trip to the desert when some Marines were doing some crazy-looking shit in the gym. I asked them if I could join in and it was pretty fun. So, my goal was once I got back to the states to look up an affiliate and join. Well, right when I got back I found I was leaving Dover, DE for Offutt. So, once I settled in to my new place, around Aug. ‘08 I started looking to find a CF affiliate. Well, finally stopped in CFO around October, or something like that. Told Ricky I wanted to join. Told him I would look at my schedule and call to set up my 1-on-1's. Yeah, never made that call. It wasn't until the following April when I couldn't get all the buttons on my blues shirt to button that I knew I was in trouble. So, I stopped back in, saw Ricky again and said sign me up today. And haven't looked back since. I honestly believe this shit saved my life. Being around all the good folks in the classes, and having the best coaches in the business in Ricky, Joe, Jon, Amanda, Kylie, and Jimbo has made working out fun again for me. And by having things added in like Paleo challenges, strength classes, ect, I actually feel healthy for the first time in years.
    Sure, I want to stay in the Omaha area so my daughter can go to a good school, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit my biggest personal reason for hoping I retire out here is because of CFO.
    Okay, now it's my turn to apologize for the wordiness. :)
  23. Shelley Says:
  24. I got started with Crossfit at the end of April last year. Greg O'Kief introduced me to it, and I was hooked immediately. I admit I was skeptical when he would mention that a 4-5 minute workout was brutal (I thought how hard can that be), and I quickly found out. Prior to that, I went to Lifetime and did weights/cardio, but the routines were pretty much the same. I love the variety of WOD's, and the comraderie with others at Crossfit. In the fall last year, I also knew I wanted to give competition a shot. I worked with Jon on some one on one's and talked to Ricky to see what I needed to do, etc. Fortunately, I was able to compete and loved it. The adrenaline rush was awesome!!! Though as Addi pointed out, I am still having some residual effects from Castle Rock.....
    Looking back from where I started to where I'm at now, I'm happy with the progress but never satisfied. I think that's one of the things about Crossfit that I love. No one will ever master it; you can always lift more, do it faster, more efficiently, etc.
    The coaching is second to none, and they really do care that we get the most out of every workout.
  25. Danielle Ostronic Says:
  26. Isabel: 2:55 with 53# should have gone heavier
    CFO 4:37.

Thanks For Visiting!