RSS

Talk about Strength in the Middle

Ricky Frausto Filed Under:
Core Control Part 1, Jeff Tucker - video [wmv] [mov]

WOD
3 Rounds for time
400 meter run
21 Overhead Squats (95#/65#)
Rope Climb, 3 Ascents

Those that have trouble with rope climbs will only be required to do one. As for the overhead squats, scale the load first then the reps. For example, if you can't do the squats with fairly decent technique, drop to 55, 45, or even less. If you have decent technique but aren't strong enough to keep 95 or 65 up for 21 reps then swallow your ego and only do 15 for the workout but keep the weight as prescribed. I want high intensity with perfect control and sometimes that means accepting that you are not ready for what is prescribed. Remember that all of us are a work in progress.

edit post

10 Responses to "Talk about Strength in the Middle"

  1. Melissa B Says:
  2. today was super rough for me...rope climbs were a little bit o torture :)...but as Paul says...it was awesome in a weird, horrible way!
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. 15:45. with 48 lbs the first round, reduced to only 38 libs the last two rounds. 3 rope climbs. tough workout! great job today! paul, let us know about tonight!
  5. paul Says:
  6. Ouch. That was ROUGH. I did 85, first set got all 21, 2nd got 16 and 5, 3rd, 3 sets of 7. Finished just shy of 21 mins., I think. Really hard for me.

    Everyone did a great job today. I was really impressed.

    looking forward to tonight.
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. I enjoyed today, although it was very tough. I need to get stronger shoulders for overhead squats. Rope climbs were fun, and well running is running. Everyone did a good job. Not sure where I finished probably around 21-22 since it was after Paul.
  9. Ricky Frausto Says:
  10. Everyone did really well today. I know that we are really big on here about praising each other but today was really about your hard work. Just think about rope climbs alone. Someday you may have to climb out of something or somewhere and and everyone here would be able to. We all need to keep working on getting stronger but it is kind of difficult without specialty work. Joe and I will try and address this matter more thouroughly when we get back from vegas. In the meantime, here are your scores from today. Be proud!!!!

    Nick - 14:48 (as Rx'd, you are a great addition to our team and someone many of our clients will look up to. Keep up the great work and remember that you are either getting better or getting worse, never the same)

    Tovar - 15:25 (as Rx'd, need to get that running up to par, it should be your primary focus on days such as these)

    Kylie - 15:45 (awesome on the rope climbs, just think if you were still swimming, how much better in shape you would be to compete, keep it up)

    Zack J - 16:58 (you are getting better everyday you just need to get all joints as strong as you can to avoid further injuries)

    Paul - 21:09 (get that shoulder rested as you are a monster when you are healthy)

    Mel - 21:34 (you may need to improve rope climbs a bit but the focus should be on running, you would be a firebreather if this area improved)

    Kahrs - 22:30 (awesome rope climbs but as you noted shoulders need to get stronger as well as running)

    Angela - 22:43 (you really surprised me with your rope climbing ability, now just think if you were a bit stronger how fast you would be able to go up and down)

    Josh Kn - 15:30 (good to have you back man, definitely missed ya!)

    Alison - 19:03 (the best way to get to where you want to be is to keep that desire that you have but to not get soo worked up about it. It's there but you have to let it find you, not by rushing it - great work as always)

    Steve - 21:09 (great work man, you are an awesome client and wonderful to work with. Rope climbs were awesome.)

    Crystal - 20:30 (you were about to give up on the rope climbs by letting frustration take over but you overcame that demon and got it done. Thank you for not giving up!!!!)

    Joe H - 22:52 (Don't give up on yourself no matter what, you have a chance to be really good at this but it will only take time and consistency)

    Myself - 10:24 (as Rx'd, they had the bleachers out for the basketball game so I did the campus run, it felt great to be able to run outside)
  11. paul Says:
  12. Ricky--Thanks for those comments. We are all very fortunate to trainers like you and Joe, who are so committed to each individual client's success!

    Your time is inspirational. I will never stop working at this, in the hopes that someday I'll attain that level of fitness.
  13. A Says:
  14. Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate all you guys do. Pushing down my inner demons is a WOD in and of itself.
    Great job to everyone today. It truly was inspirational to see everyone in action. Those were some imrpessive rope climbs...
  15. Anonymous Says:
  16. If there was ever anything that proved to me that I need to loose 5-10 pounds, pulling my butt up those ropes was it.
  17. Anonymous Says:
  18. This was a great WOD. I only did the 25lb bar for the overhead squats, as my flexibility and form need a lot of work. Rope climbs were pretty tough, but i finally figured out how to wrap it around my leg!! The best part for me was the run because it was easy!! Oh, well. I have a lot of room for improvement. I get frustrated way to easy. Great job to everyone this morning. See ya all on monday.
  19. Anonymous Says:
  20. It is a great feeling to be a part of Crossfit Omaha. Not only are you guys, Ricky and Joe, exceptional trainers, but I had a lot of people cheering me on yesterday- and everyday. It pushes me harder and I want to do better every time I get to the gym. Thanks everyone for adding to that feeling.

Thanks For Visiting!